Thursday, March 20, 2008

the battle of the bulge!

Meron na ba akong masisisi sa kawalan ng resulta ng aking pagpapapayat?!?!?!?!

nung Monday, tinest ang dugo ko for all the standard precautionary tests like glucose, cholesterol, etc. last week, when I saw my doctor, sinabi ko sa kanya na I’ve been exercising every other day (which is true) and watching what I eat (medyo true) for about a month na. but I haven’t seen any results! Not even 1 lb lost after all my attempts! So she also ordered a TSH test to see if there is something wrong with my thyroid which leads to extra weight and a few other bad stuff. Syempre, dahil ako ay semi-obsessed sa pagpapapayat, yun talaga ang goal ko.

A few days later, I was able to view my lab results online. Below is the result of my test.

Component - TSH

Your Value - 3.5

Standard Range - 0.2 0 5.5 uIU/mL

Di ba mukhang normal? Pero syempre ayoko pumayag! There must be something wrong dahil yung ibang tao (and yes I mean chel! Hehehe), isang linggo lang mag workout, naglolose na kagad ng 5 lbs! fair ba yun? May mali e! so dahil lagi naman akong may duda sa serbisyo ng mga HMO, I did my own research and look what I found!!!

Until November 2002, doctors had relied on a normal TSH level ranging from 0.5 to 5.0 to diagnose and treat patients with a thyroid disorder who tested outside the boundaries of that range5 . Now AACE encourages doctors to consider treatment for patients who test outside the boundaries of a narrower margin based on a target TSH level of 0.3 to 3.04. AACE believes the new range will result in proper diagnosis for millions of Americans who suffer from a mild thyroid disorder, but have gone untreated until now. (full details found at http://www.aace.com/newsroom/press/2003/index.php?r=20030118)

Ibig sabihin, I have hypothyroidism!? What is hypothyroidism? Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the body lacks sufficient thyroid hormone. Since the main purpose of thyroid hormone is to "run the body's metabolism", it is understandable that people with this condition will have symptoms associated with a slow metabolism. (http://www.endocrineweb.com/hypo1.html)

So nag research pa ako.

Signs and symptoms (http://www.endocrineweb.com/hypo1.html)

The signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism vary widely, depending on the severity of the hormone deficiency. But in general, any problems you do have tend to develop slowly, often over a number of years.

At first, you may barely notice symptoms such as fatigue and sluggishness, or you may simply attribute them to getting older. But as your metabolism continues to slow, you may develop more obvious signs and symptoms, including:

  • Increased sensitivity to cold
  • Constipation
  • Pale, dry skin
  • A puffy face
  • Hoarse voice
  • An elevated blood cholesterol level
  • Unexplained weight gain
  • Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
  • Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
  • Muscle weakness
  • Heavier than normal menstrual periods
  • Depression

When hypothyroidism isn't treated, signs and symptoms can gradually become more severe. Constant stimulation of your thyroid to release more hormones may lead to an enlarged thyroid (goiter). In addition, you may become more forgetful, your thought processes may slow or you may feel depressed.

Advanced hypothyroidism, known as myxedema, is rare, but when it occurs it can be life-threatening. Signs and symptoms include low blood pressure, decreased breathing, decreased body temperature, unresponsiveness and even coma. In some cases, myxedema can be fatal.

Marami sa symptoms dyan, meron ako. Pero I wouldn’t have associated them with hypothyroidism dahil akala ko, ganon talaga pag tumatanda hehehe. Noon, naghahanap lang ako ng masisisi dahil hindi ako pumapayat. Pero as I continue to read, I became more concerned with the long term consequences if this remains untreated.

So I emailed my doctor and gave her the information I found. We’ll just have to wait and see kung ano ang magiging sagot nya.

So the burning question is, pano na ako papayat ngayon?!?!?!?!?!?!

No comments:

COVID-19: DAY 52 SHELTER IN PLACE MAY 7 2020

The month of April was like a blink of an eye.  Now, we are in my birth month, this was supposed to be a big deal for me.  I am turning 40 i...

Popular Posts