Wednesday, March 25, 2020

COVID-19: Day 9 Shelter in place March 25 2020

One of the most recent news going around is this Filipino senator Aquilino Pimentel, who tested positive for COVID-19.  While he was waiting for his test results, he breached  quarantine protocols and took his wife to the hospital to give birth. He put his family and the hospital staff in danger!  I understand wanting to be there for your wife when she gives birth but during times like these, damn it, use your common sense!   He broke the law and he apologized, and that seems to be the extent of it.  What can the rage of citizens do against a rich and powerful man?  Whilst a homeless woman was arrested and placed in jail for being out on the street (she is homeless!) during the quarantine.  Nasan ang hustisya?

As much as I love the Philippines, I cannot stand the injustice.  This is the reason why I don't think I can ever live there again.  I am afraid that I will be corrupt and I wont even feel remorse for it because corruption is embedded in every aspect of life. If you a poor, there is no justice for you.  If you are rich, justice is on your side.  The scales of justice always tip favorably towards those who have money to spend.  

I'm not going to pretend I have not benefited from this.  While our family is not rich like the senator, we have more than enough and can get things done expeditiously if we chose to use corrupt avenues to get things done.  We have used these avenues in the past, everyone there seems to accept that this is how things are done.  It is wrong, but if you want to get anything done, they say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.  You are desensitized to the corruption that goes on around you.  There is a "secret" rule book people use and you can pay to use that rule book.  

Now that the Philippines is under quarantine, the divide between the rich and the poor is even more prevalent.  People can't go to work, so they don't get paid.  There is no unemployment insurance, not even a flimsy safety net to help them in times like these.  You can get a loan from Social Security Services, but your wages will be garnished once you start working again.  When you work paycheck to paycheck, having to pay a loan is another burden you must bear.  

Here in the United States, the economy may go down but there is confidence that it will bounce right back.  For the Philippines and its people, it's not going to be that easy.  

Speaking of America, our legislators have agreed on a stimulus package to help Americans through these troubled times.  I hope we get some money from the government.  We need help, too, as our business is not doing well. I am thankful that the Lord blessed me with a husband who is blessed with a job that allows us to save some money.  I am thankful my husband has the wisdom to save money for times like these when we need help.  

I have two employees in Manila.  Business has been super slow and I know my niece and I can manage it even without assistance from our Manila team.  But I don't want to let them go because none of their family members are able to work right now, their employment in our business is the only way they can earn a living and put food on the table.  


I really pray this ends soon.  This will end sooner IF WE ALL STAY HOME! I hope you do your part.  

No comments:

COVID-19: DAY 52 SHELTER IN PLACE MAY 7 2020

The month of April was like a blink of an eye.  Now, we are in my birth month, this was supposed to be a big deal for me.  I am turning 40 i...

Popular Posts