Tuesday, September 02, 2008

estudyante blues

Months ago, I decided to go back to school and get a masters degree in…well, anything! I got in touch with an old professor from college who said she will gladly write a letter of recommendation for me once I decide on what I wanted to pursue. After going back and forth between getting my masters in English, International Relations, or getting my MBA, I decided not too long ago to get my MS in Human Resource Management.

Ha???? Ano yun? Where did that come from?!

I honestly have no idea! I was desperate to go back to school. I was eager to polish this rusty old brain and see if it can still handle the demands of ‘higher learning’. Since I already am in management, I feel that this will help me become effective and good at what I do. I wanted to pursue something along the lines of what I do without really getting my MBA because deep down I really don't think I'd be happy if I did. Why? I don't know. I just wasn't comfortable with an MBA. (weird no?) Another incentive to go back to school was the fact that the company will reimburse my very expensive tuition at the end of the semester, it was a deal too good to pass up. But I have to get an A if I want to get 100% of my tuition, 80% if I get a B, 50% if I get a C, and zero if my grade is any less than the latter.

I signed up for just one class this semester. I wasn’t ready to dive right into it so this is my way of ‘testing the water’. It’s an online class, too, (or distance learning if that’s what you want to call it) which is a first for me. I wonder if I will succeed as a student with an already demanding schedule (work, family, and oh yes, the buko pie!). So today, I logged into my class with my heart beating so fast you’d think I was actually going inside a class room for the very first time. There are at least 12 students enrolled in the class and each one of us had to write an introduction. There goes my heart again! “What do I write about? I want it to be short but tells them everything I want them to know about me. Hmmmm…” After minutes of thinking, this is what I wrote:

Hi Everyone!

My name is Almira, I am 28 years old, living in the SF Bay Area and working as the office manager for the Institutional Sales and Institutional Advisory Division for our firm. I have been married for 3 years, and have a daughter who turns 2 years old tomorrow. I received my bachelor’s degree from UC Davis in 2003 with a degree in Political Science and Anthropology. How I ended up in the financial industry is a mystery to me! This is my first class towards getting my MS in Human Resource Management. I am excited and nervous at the same time…excited because I’ve always loved school and nervous, too, because I’m not sure how well I’ll be able to manage my time between work, family, school, and helping my best friend with her new restaurant business.

I was promoted last year to my role but I felt that I needed more tools to help me succeed as a manager so I decided to hit the books again. After reading everyone’s introduction, I think this course (and the many others I will take) along with the professional experience from everyone in the class will help me become an effective manager.

When I have the time, I like to travel, cook, and read all sorts of books (whatever I could get my hands on) and watch the news on TV. My parents and I moved to California from the Philippines 11 years ago so I still feel a very close connection to the Philippines and its people. I am blessed to have the perspective and the experience of living in two very different countries with very different cultures. Having two ‘homes’ has already enriched my life tremendously.

Do you think the above sums me up?

No comments:

COVID-19: DAY 52 SHELTER IN PLACE MAY 7 2020

The month of April was like a blink of an eye.  Now, we are in my birth month, this was supposed to be a big deal for me.  I am turning 40 i...

Popular Posts