Monday, April 06, 2020

COVID-19: DAY 21 SHELTER IN PLACE APR 6 2020





I think I finally realized the root of my sadness during this pandemic.  It is not being made to stay home (I like staying home).  It is not about missing the people I love who do not live in the same house as I do.  What truly breaks my heart is seeing posts from people I know, many of them Christians like me, that encourage people to be silent, to 'stop complaining' about the lock down or the lack of preparedness the government has shown throughout this pandemic.  They want people to SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Yup.  I said it.  

"Stop complaining.  Just follow the rules and pray for our leaders.  It is for our own good."  Fuck that shit.  They can easily say that because none of them wake up in the morning and wonder about where their next meal will be coming from.  None of them wake up and go to work and have to decide which of their patients deserve that last ventilator at the hospital.  Their statements come from a place of privilege, totally disconnected from the reality that it is not only the COVID 19 patients who are suffering.  More people will suffer from the lasting mental and economic impact this will have on the world.

I am not saying they don't care.  I know these people have good hearts but what upsets me is that because something does not directly affect them, then they won't advocate for it.  Isn't that completely against what the Bible has called Christians to do?  Isn't that being selfish?  They all hide behind the verse about praying for our leaders, as if you can't pray for your leaders and tell them when they are failing miserably at their jobs.  If nobody tells them they are doing something wrong, then how will they know to do a better job? 

Leader: Do you think I am making the right decision?
Christian: Aaah, I will just pray for you. I will just support you decision, because that is was good Christians do, we like to follow the leader, you know? 
Leader:  You mean, you don't know if what I am doing is right or wrong?
Christian: I know if it is right or wrong.  I went to school and highly educated and I read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation many times throughout my life. I know a lot of things, but I am not going to tell you what I think. It's not important what I think but I should just pray for you and the government.  
Leader: So you can't have an opinion? 
Christian: My opinion is I have to pray for my leaders and not complain.     

Will not God use us?  If enough of us speak up for those who can't speak for themselves, I think the leaders will finally listen.  Sure, prayer is our number 1 weapon.  But it is not our only weapon.  We can see, we can hear, we can feel when something is wrong.  We can't just sit around as if the only action we can take is to pray.  Again I am not making light of the power of prayer but is not the only weapon in the artillery.  God has called us to love others as we love ourselves, so if we advocate for ourselves, shouldn't we advocate for others?

No comments:

COVID-19: DAY 52 SHELTER IN PLACE MAY 7 2020

The month of April was like a blink of an eye.  Now, we are in my birth month, this was supposed to be a big deal for me.  I am turning 40 i...

Popular Posts