Wednesday, January 09, 2008

no day like today

You can feel the tension in the office.

Everyone is anxious for that hour to come.

Eyes darting back and forth between the clock and email inbox.

Keeping a close eye on your colleagues when they get up from their desks.

The phone rings, your boss calls you to his office to give you the news.

Today is comp day.

Comp day is when we get our bonus numbers for the previous year. Yes, it’s weird for some how we get our bonuses in January, but that’s how it is. That way we don’t spend all the money Christmas shopping! With 2007 being one of the most challenging years our firm has ever faced and the news swirling around the significant reduction in bonus pay, everyone has been expecting the worse bonus compensation in decades.

This is my first year in the admin manager role so I have no idea how much to expect. In years past, I’ve always been thankful for the numbers I’ve been given even though I know some people I work with get so much more than I do (they have a different role so I understand). I am just thankful that despite the difficult year that was 2007, our firm still manages to keep its head above water despite all the unfavorable reports. As they say, it can only go up from here!

Several people have already walked in to my boss’ office. I haven’t seen anyone in a fit of rage or throw a punch at anyone so I’m assuming the numbers aren’t so bad.

I have yet to be called in to hear my news.


Tick tock tick tock


1 hour later, i am given my numbers.

i'm disappointed, to say the least, but a bonus is a bonus. it's still extra money at the end of the day but i couldn't help but feel dismayed. my boss and i had an honest discussion after he told me the numbers. i told him i was expecting about 60% more than what i was given but i'm not to complain. given the climate our country and our firm has been, i am still thankful to have received more than i did last year. i told him, all i can do is do better at what i do and pray for a better year for the firm.

*sigh* i will get over the disappointment. many of our plans have been put on hold but they're just life's little luxuries and nothing more. we are abundantly blessed, and thankful that the Lord is always faithful to those that put their trust in Him.

No comments:

COVID-19: DAY 52 SHELTER IN PLACE MAY 7 2020

The month of April was like a blink of an eye.  Now, we are in my birth month, this was supposed to be a big deal for me.  I am turning 40 i...

Popular Posts