Tuesday, February 12, 2008

restaurant review: yank sing

I have been to yank sing at least 4 times but always forget to write a review.

I took my parents to yank sing about 2 weeks ago. My parents are very hard to please when it comes to food. They have two qualifications for a satisfying dining experience: mura at asian food (Filipino, Chinese or Japanese lang dapat…or buffet!) The price of the food always seem to turn them off. Yank sing is a good place to take them because they don’t see the menu and have no idea how much the food costs. So they can eat and enjoy their food without thinking about the money that each bite drains out of the pocket.

Yank sing is a dim sum restaurant. The dim sum are placed in carts that the waiters walk all around the restaurant and offer to patrons--much like how it’s done in hong kong. The variety is great. Each dim sum I’ve tried was good. We ordered fried rice also since my parents won’t enjoy lunch without rice. We had too much dim sum that I wasn’t able to keep track of all their names, but trust me, they were all good!

My family loves dim sum. There’s a hole in the wall dim sum restaurant about 2 miles from where we live. It’s your typical neighborhood Chinese restaurant - suspiciously unclean (but that’s what we would call character!). While we enjoy their dim sum for being filling and affordable, yank sing takes the food to a different level. The place is not stuffy. It’s actually relaxed and noisy. Michelle wasn’t given dirty looks for screaming “abadada!” because the other diners hardly heard her. (for the definition of abadada see blog entitled ‘michelle-isms part 1’). They actually gave her a magna doodle to play with while in the restaurant. She politely ignored the toy and stuck to her abadada.

It’s easy to stuff yourself silly when eating here. Because the food never sits on your table for too long and one serving of dim sum is usually just 4 pieces. The dim sum carts passes by every minute so it’s easy to ask for another helping. If the cart that passes by doesn’t have the food you are looking for, simply tell the waiter and she will page for it to be brought promptly to your table.

Service is fast and friendly. the restaurant validates parking for the garage downstair so get your ticket validated! We were in the restaurant for only a little over an hour and parking was $20! With validation, parking was free. For 5 adults, we paid close to $200 including tax and a generous tip. I thought my parents were going to have a heart attack when they saw the bill (a mistake on the waiter’s part for showing them the bill). But my mom said, ‘hindi na masama. Ok lang na ganyan ka mahal, masarap naman at nagustuhan namin yung food.’ Aba! ?Winner!

No comments:

COVID-19: DAY 52 SHELTER IN PLACE MAY 7 2020

The month of April was like a blink of an eye.  Now, we are in my birth month, this was supposed to be a big deal for me.  I am turning 40 i...

Popular Posts