Friday, February 29, 2008

thirteen point one miles

Listed on my mind as one of the things I would like to accomplish in my life is to run a marathon. With my flat feet and lack of enthusiasm for running, I myself, am surprised that this thing made it on my list at all.

Just a month ago, I started to jog 3 to 4 times a week. With each mile that I run, i learn to bear with the pain that comes with flat feet and revel in having run 2 or 3 miles. My, my, my?! Am I actually enjoying my runs?! I would still rather play with michelle or watch tv but I know that the life of a couch potato doesn’t usually last very long. obesity is one of the biggest problems in america and heart disease is the number 1 killer among women. our family history with both of these makes me a likely candidate but i want to beat my genes and win! I want to live a long, healthy life for my family. It wont happen unless I make choices right now, and I have chosen to run to get fit.

running has become more about being healthy than losing weight. i've only lost maybe 2 lbs but with each run, i feel less bilbil shaking with every hard step. plus i've been eating healthier - always fruits for breakfast, a sensible lunch and dinner. of course i still indulge in snacks in between (lately it's been ding dong from pi), but i no longer feel guilty about them. i don't weigh myself constantly like i used to and my clothes are starting to feel/look better on me. the release of endorphines are working! i just hope my feet can keep up with my excitement!

Now back to the marathon dream. I started to talk to my coworkers about working out and amy, an unlikely marathon runner herself, talked me into joining her for the
nike women’s marathon in October. I have two options: a full marathon (all 26.2 miles) or the half marathon (you do that math!). of course, I wont be able to do the full thing. Come on! I’m a dreamer, but I’m not crazy! In the beginning I said, ‘run a marathon.’ I didn’t say, a full marathon, so this one counts. I’ve been thinking about this over the last couple of days and I’m actually getting excited about the idea. Add to that the fact that you get a Tiffany necklace at the end of the race. What woman wouldn’t love a free necklace from Tiffany’s? I would run that marathon (my half of it) to get that darn necklace! =) I might be crawling by race’s end, but we'll find that one out in october, IF i actually do run. I already imagine Paul and Michelle at the end of the race, cheering me on, beaming with pride that this once lazy bum has completed her first (of many?) marathon. Yey! I’m already grinning from ear to ear just thinking about it.

So before I really start training for this, I’m going to see my doctor, get a physical exam and get my feet checked. i have to be sure that my body will be able to survive this challenge. Having flat feet is not easy. Running becomes painful after only a few minutes. My feet hurt, then my knees, then my back—and I’m not exaggerating! In order to be in the best running condition I could ever be, the doctor is my first stop, then a trainer - which is provided if you sign up to run the marathon.

i have maybe a few more weeks to think about this and then decide. the 2008 marathon isn't open for registration at this time, but amy will let me know as soon as it does. this is her 3rd nike marathon (way to go amy!), and now maybe my first. wow! am i really going to do this? can i really do this?! let's see what happens. =)

*i just visited the website right now and i read that because of the overwhelming success of last year's marathon (they sold out in 3 days), they are going to do a random drawing for participants. i have to register between march 4 and march 18. Random drawing results will be posted on the Nike Women’s Marathon website on April 1st. yikes! i better decide soon!*

No comments:

COVID-19: DAY 52 SHELTER IN PLACE MAY 7 2020

The month of April was like a blink of an eye.  Now, we are in my birth month, this was supposed to be a big deal for me.  I am turning 40 i...

Popular Posts