Tuesday, April 24, 2012

day 7 of bell's palsy

7 days ago, i was diagnosed with bell's palsy - a condition of partial facial paralysis.  yesterday, day 6 was the toughest one for me.  i had not been able to sleep the night before because of my medication (prednisone, a corticosteroid).  i remember taking the medicine at around 330 pm but apparently, that was too late for me to take.  i hadn't slept a wink and had to go to work.  i was running on caffeine and another doze of prednisone but by 1 pm yesterday, the pressure on my face, eyes, and head was just too much.  i left work at around 2 pm, went home and stayed in bed except to eat so i can take another doze of meds which i did as soon as i got home.  2 pm is early enough to take it, i fell asleep last night and feeling ok today.

have you ever been really conscious about gravity?  it's another one of those things we tend to ignore except when you're riding a rollercoaster or falling off of something.  well, everyday since i had bell's palsy, gravity has been reminding me that it exists.  yes it does and don't i dare to forget about it!  it tugs on my face towards the ground and there's not much i can do about it but cope.

it's not all bad news though.  the sagging of my face has not really increased.  i am most comfortable ok when i have a patch over my eye and lying down but there are things that need to be done here at work and there really isn't anyone to fill in for me.  i told my boss that i will plow through my days but when it gets really tough for me, like it did yesterday, i'm going home.  she totally understands and i know that if we had more team members with us, she'd probably tell me to stay home and rest until i feel well enough to make it through the day.  oh well!  i also told her that on days she's not in the office, i'm going to work from home and mostly rest.  fine by her, too.  see!  there's so much to be thankful for.  you just always have to look at the bright side.  it does get better...my face not getting worse is a sign that it's getting better.  well, at least for me...that's how i'm taking it.

it's only 8 am.  i will update this post later in the afternoon.


it's 3:22 pm and i'm just about ready to head home (i work from 730 am to 330 pm).  today went by really well..just a slight pressure/discomfort on the left side of my head.  i felt really productive at work today an i took 2nd doze of prednizone about half an hour ago.  i hope i get to sleep tonight.  sleep is key.  i think i might have some energy to actually function at home today.  thank you Lord!

btw, i have also been taking my daily multivitamin and extra vitamin d.  i read that the B vitamins help reduce inflammation and vitamin d helps the immune system.  doesn't hurt to try it.  =D

tomorrow is the first 'major' gathering of the women's ministry.  i am praying that the Lord will give me the wisdom to help the women at our church and to really have the passion to reach out to others to let them know about God's love.  we are all called to follow Christ and make disciples.  God will equip us. 

No comments:

COVID-19: DAY 52 SHELTER IN PLACE MAY 7 2020

The month of April was like a blink of an eye.  Now, we are in my birth month, this was supposed to be a big deal for me.  I am turning 40 i...

Popular Posts