Tuesday, December 23, 2008

how i miss...

The smell of apples remind me of Christmas and the new year. I know it sounds weird because for most Americans, apples remind them of the fall. But being the transplant that I am, this time of the year is the time when apples abound in the markets around the Philippines. There are times when I would linger at the apple section of the grocery store here in the states just to take in the smell of the apples that remind me of Christmas at home. I would leave the area with a smile and a feeling of warmth, like I was home for a few seconds.

I still remember how my dad would start playing Christmas songs as early as September 1st and how I would start asking my mom to go to the mall to start our Christmas shopping in October. My parents would have a budget for each of their three kids on how much could be spent on new clothes for Christmas. The budget for my brothers is always larger than mine, which surprisingly, didn’t bother me that much even when I became aware of how expensive their jeans and shoes were. Every year, when my dad gets his bonus, we would make a trip to RAON and buy one major electric appliance or device for the house. My favorite was one holiday season, back in the 80s when we went there to buy a Nintendo Family Computer and how excited my brothers and I were to be finally getting one. I never got into the whole family computer thing, but I was happy my parents were generous enough to buy it for us. Back then, it was an expensive gift, even for 3 kids.

Trips to raon will include lunch at WAPAC (wala na tong restaurant na to, unfortunately) and they served the best pancit canton and fried chicken I’ve ever had. My parents used to go there a lot before they were married, then at least once a year after they had all three kids. One waitress in particular knew my parents to be regular customers and one Christmas, my dad gave her tip which was almost the same as the cost of our entire meal. After she realized how much she had received, she jumped up and down, teary-eyed, hugged my parents and thanked them profusely. it wasn’t a lot of money but maybe it was enough for whatever it was that she needed. Her joy was electrifying, and I remember leaving the restaurant with a big smile on my face like i was the one on the receiving end.

I miss going to simbang gabi, even though it’s a struggle to get out of my warm bed on cold December mornings. I mostly look forward to the pancit luglog, puto bumbong and bibingka that we ate after the mass. I miss seeing the neighborhood kids dressed in their holiday best, going door to door to greet people and wait for their Aguinaldo. I miss having my cousins over at our house to eat all the food that my mom has prepared. I miss my Nanay Dhe, Nana Juling, Tata Sergio, and Lolo Pacing and the smile on their faces when they see all of their grandchildren together. All four now celebrate Christmas everyday with our Lord, and I bet they are so much happier now.

I am looking forward to bringing Michelle home for Christmas and having her experience what Christmas was like for her dad and me and I’m sure she’ll have a greater appreciation for her heritage, her tradition, and her family. And I hope later on, she’ll agree with me when I say, there is no better place in the world to celebrate Christmas than spending it in the Philippines!

No comments:

COVID-19: DAY 52 SHELTER IN PLACE MAY 7 2020

The month of April was like a blink of an eye.  Now, we are in my birth month, this was supposed to be a big deal for me.  I am turning 40 i...

Popular Posts