Saturday, December 13, 2008

it's about giving

I told my husband I don’t want any gifts from him this Christmas.

There are so many things that I have already and I can’t really think of anything that I need. of course there’s so much that I want, but I can live without those. I want to rid myself of self-indulgence and materialism even if I have a feeling it will be short-lived.

I have to keep reminding myself that Christmas is not about me. it’s not my birthday so why should I get any gifts? I don’t even expect gifts on my birthday so why expect any now? Don’t get me wrong, gifts are great…it’s the giving, not the gift. But I know you’ll agree with me when I say that more than half of the gifts you will receive this year, you will never ever buy for yourself. It will end up in the closet or in the garage, gathering dust and you’ll forget all about it until it’s time to clean up all the clutter. You’ll donate the unwanted gift or re-gift to someone else, who, like you, will absolutely hate it, and a new cycle begins.

My husband and I were exchanging ims yesterday and he was asking me what he needs to get for our daughter before he comes home for the holidays. we haven't really decided on what to get her this christmas but this early in her life, we want her to realize what Christmas is NOT about.

It’s not about getting gifts.
It’s not about all the parties.
It’s not about all the candy.
It’s not about all the food.
It’s not about the twinkling lights.
It’s not about the brand new clothes.
It’s not about the crowded shopping malls.
It’s not about Santa Clause.
Not about Rudolph, nor the elves, nor the north pole.
It’s not about the candy canes, the ham, or the chestnuts roasting on an open fire…

It’s about the joyous occasion of the birth of Christ and what he has done for all of us. It is about God, giving; and we, receiving the greatest gift of all.

I want michelle to realize how fortunate and how blessed she is to have what she has. I want her to be grateful and generous. I want her to share and be happy about sharing. I told michelle yesterday as we were singing Christmas songs that Jesus’ birthday is coming up and we had this exchange…

I asked her, ‘what do you want to give Jesus on his birthday?’
‘Birthday party! Balloons…lots and lots of balloons and birthday cake!’, she replied enthusiastically. (I’m not exaggerating!)
‘That’s great sweetheart. Kantahan mo si Jesus ng ‘Happy Birthday’ ha?’, I said to her.
‘Opo,’ she said with a smile.

Of course, I don’t think she really gets the importance of this holiday, but I don’t want her to begin her christmas memories with materialism so I have to start this early by making christmas a holiday about Jesus. I want her to focus on that. I know I’m being idealistic, but the world will not teach these things to my daughter, so we have to.

I’ve also been thinking about what to give Jesus this Christmas. What does the Lord of all things want to receive on his birthday? what God wants is for us to give…and our giving must reflect God’s agenda. here are some ideas...

Proverbs 19:17 — “He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done.”

Acts 10:2-4 — “[Cornelius] and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, ‘Cornelius!’ Cornelius stared at him in fear. ‘What is it, Lord?’ he asked. The angel answered, ‘Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God ...’ ”

James 1:27 "Here are the kinds of beliefs that God our Father accepts as pure and without fault. When widows and children who have no parents are in trouble, take care of them. And keep yourselves from being polluted by the world. "

Matthew 25:34-40 — “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ ”

Romans 12:13 — “Share with God’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.”

Malachi 3:10 - "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."

2 Corinthians 8:12 "Whatever you give is acceptable if you give it eagerly. And give according to what you have, not what you don’t have."

2 Corinthians 9:7 "You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.”


And this is my favorite… Luke 6:38 - "Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.”


My Christmas wish this year is for more and more people to fully understand what giving is all about. If you GIVE your tithes and offering to the Lord, and give with joy and gladness, you have NOTHING to fear. God has promised to open floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessings that we will have no room enough for it! Can you imagine being so blessed, you have no room to contain it!? so, give…give…give! you have nothing to lose! we can never out-give God.

No comments:

COVID-19: DAY 52 SHELTER IN PLACE MAY 7 2020

The month of April was like a blink of an eye.  Now, we are in my birth month, this was supposed to be a big deal for me.  I am turning 40 i...

Popular Posts